Advancing Manufacturing Throughout the Region
Manufacturing is an essential part of the Silicon Valley’s high tech economy. The Silicon Valley Manufacturing Initiative (SVMI) brings together industry, government and educators for collaborative action to strengthen this pivotal sector.
Silicon Valley Manufacturing Roundtable (SVMR)
The Silicon Valley Manufacturing Roundtable convenes businesses, city governments, educational institutions and other stakeholders to identify and work on key issues facing local manufacturers.
SVMR’s activities cover six strategic areas:
- Research and Innovation
- Workforce Development
- Supply Chain
- International Trade
- Capital Access
“San Jose is home to America’s largest concentration of companies with the capacity for turning high-tech ideas into manufactured products,” said Kim Walesh, Director of Economic Development for the City of San Jose.
Reports on Silicon Valley Manufacturing
- City of San Jose, June 2012 – Memorandum on Strengthening Manufacturing
- Work2Future, February 2012 report – Contract Manufacturing in Silicon Valley
- Brookings, 2012 – Why Does Manufacturing Matter
- Brookings, 2012 – Locating American Manufacturing
- Deloitte, 2015 – Skills Gap in U.S. Manufacturing
Quarterly Meetings. Join Us.
SVMR meets on a quarterly basis. See below for materials from recent meetings.
Spring 2015 (April 30)
Fall 2014 (September 24)
Summer 2014 (May 14)
- San Jose Evergreen Community College District, Workforce Institute Presentation
- Silicon Valley Manufacturing Initiative Executive Summary
- San Jose-Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce – Regional Economic Development Initiative
This is an annual event in early October that raises awareness of local manufacturing by inviting students, entrepreneurs, and the public to tour facilities and attend other programs. Visit www.mfgday.com to learn more about National Manufacturing Day.