San Jose development projects update and interactive map
In addition to our Development Update Report, this month we are delighted to share a new feature, an interactive map of San Jose development projects, that incorporates links to Google satellite maps to see street view images of the project site, and a link to SJPermits.org to get more information on any of projects, including the permit status and site information.
The map was developed in partnership with City of San Jose’s Public Works GIS team and we’re looking forward to continue to iterate and add features to improve our ability to share information. Projects are identified by Housing, Commercial, or Mixed Use categories, and the project outlines on the map represent whether the project is under Planning Review, Approved, or under Construction – the closer the border is to being solid, the closer the project is to being under construction.
Please note that projects on this list and the map are not an exhaustive representation of projects underway in the City. The projects included have been identified to have a specific impact for fulfilling our city goals and objectives for housing development, employment development and retention, and catalytic placemaking. Thus, they do not represent the total number of units or square footage currently under development in the city.
Some of the changes from the May Report:
- Special Use Permit application for the Davidson Towers project (the current CreaTV building Downtown) which was under review by Planning was withdrawn.
- Planned Development Permit for the Volar project at 350 South Winchester Boulevard expired. The Planning Development Zoning for the site is still valid and anther Planned Development Permit could be submitted for review in its place.
- Preliminary review applications were submitted totalling close 2,500 residential units. These are not formal applications for entitlements, but they represent a significant number of potential units within the Central and West Valley planning areas of the city.
- New key economic project applications since May included several applications for office buildings:
- CityView Plaza application proposes 3,400,000 square feet of office space on the current 150 Almaden Boulevard office site.
- The Sobrato Organization submitted a new application for 568,286 square feet of office space at 282 South Market Street.
- Lumileds submitted a Site Development Permit to add 1,280,000 square feet of industrial, office, and research and development square footage to 350 West Trimble.
Notable recent entitlement approvals include the Santana West project at Olsen Drive and Winchester Boulevard which approved 850,000 square feet of office. Coleman Highline received Planning approval of a 582,950 square foot new office building and a three-story parking garage. The Aviato/Starcity project entitlement was also approved in May which allows the 18-story co-living development to proceed through the Building Permit process.
The Platform 16 project at 440 West Julian (1,000,000 square feet of office space in three buildings) has begun site work and is currently working with the Building and Public Works divisions for their grading and building permits, and the North First and Brokaw Corporate Campus at North First Street and Bering Drive has broken ground and is well underway with construction of 728,437 square feet of office space.
Work is coming to a close at 656 America Center Court as the first Temporary Certificate of Occupancy was issued for the Resident Inn and Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott.