San Jose Development Update
We are launching a new regular communications feature – a detailed update on development projects underway in San Jose. The update will provide details on new projects and updates on progress, and we include a link to a project-by-project spreadsheet with all the details. Here are some highlights:
Commercial: As of June of 2019, we are reporting on a total of 16.22 million sf under development
- Planning Review – 7.6 million square feet of office construction are under Planning Review, including 4.8 million sf Downtown and 1.95 million sf in North San Jose
- Entitlements – 4.96 million sf of office space are approved city-wide, including 2.67 million sf located in North San Jose
- Under construction – 66 million sf of office space are currently under construction, of which 3.17 million sf are in North San Jose.
Residential: In this report, we cover a total of 15,952 sf:
- Planning Review – 7,261 units citywide
- Entitlements – 5,215 residential units approved
- Under construction – 3,476 residential units city-wide, with 1,533 of these units in Downtown and projected to begin occupancy late 2020 through 2021.
Affordable housing project activity includes:
- 152 units under preliminary review, located in Cambrian and Willow Glen
- 202 units are new projects, on Balbach in Downtown, and on North First Street
- 279 units in central San Jose have been Planning Approved.
We are also seeing more hotel rooms in the pipeline:
- A Hyatt House, a Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express, and a Resident Inn/Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott are under construction in North San Jose
- A10-story hotel near Valley Fair/Santana Row is Planning Approved
- Under Planning review for Downtown are a 24-story hotel that includes the old Montgomery Hotel, a 19-story hotel next to the De Anza Hotel, and a nine-story hotel with residential units on Stockton Avenue near Diridon Station
- Two new hotels are proposed – a five-story hotel at Coleman Highline, and a 124-room hotel on De Anza Blvd in the West Valley.
The full report with all the details is available online.