The pig dances again!
San Jose turned out with enthusiasm to celebrate the restoration of a landmark neon sign at the corner of Montgomery and W. San Fernando Streets – the “dancing pig” that signifies the location of the former Stephen’s Meat Products company.
The event included a band, free hotdogs from Bassian Farms, ice cream from Treat and a speeches and reminiscences from preservationists, neighbors, city staff, elected officials and members of the Stephen’s Meat families.
The sign itself was lit with great fanfare as the sun went down. Originally installed in the early 1950s, the restoration effort was funded with $5,000 from the Preservation Action Council (PACSJ), a matching grant from Bassian Farms (current owner of Stephen’s Meat brand) and the proceeds of a fundraising effort by PACSJ. The $35,000 restoration was completed by the Young Electric Sign Co. and San Jose glass artist Kevin Chong.
Google representatives were on hand to confirm the company’s commitment to keep the sign visible in their proposed development around the Diridon Station area that will include the former Stephen’s Meat site. The company will be submitting its preliminary land use proposal for their 50+-acre mixed use development later this year.
Speakers praising the sign and the city that rallied to save it included:
- ACSJ Board President Andre Luthard
- Historian/preservationist Heather David
- Deputy City Manager Kim Walesh
- San Jose City Councilwoman Dev Davis
- Stephen Morrison, whose grandfather Stephen Pizzo founded the company in 1942.